There has been a discussion over on Doc's forums over which shift we prefer to work. Like many of the others I have a preference for working though the night. The reasons for this are many but include…
1) As I'm single I can lay in bed as long as I want. And breakfast is dinner, and kebabs are lunch, and an icecream is supper.
2) You get empty streets, and so can drive like someone out of “The fast and the furious”.
3) You also get the strange jobs – 'sex-toy accidents', criminal behaviour, stabbings…
4) It feels as if you “own” the world, there is no-one else around, and anyone you do meet is normally shocked to be awake at night.
5) You get to work a lot of jobs with the police, who are generally top people.
7) I don't have to go into a school, and be surrounded by 400 screaming children just because a kid has sprained it's ankle.
8) There is less management around – actually there is no management around, always a good thing; I like to avoid management as much as I can, I worked this job for six months before they remembered my name.
9) On a cold winter morning, I'm going to my warm comfortable bed, while everyone else is trudging to work.
It's well described in this page.